This house, originally built in 1949, saw some of its 1950’s architectural character diminished as a result of the addition of some ill-considered outbuildings. The clients’ brief challenged Gabriela Seco to improve the internal and external layout of the property by integrating new additions in a complimentary way so as to enhance the original style of the existing house.
Functionally the clients required a large kitchen, liquid kitchen with an open plan family room facing a large garden and pool. In addition to this the client requested an environmentally sustainable and energy-efficient house for which solar water, grey water and water harvesting system will be implemented.
Smart glass solutions will also be introduced in all new spaces added.
To keep to the fabric of the original house, the architectural solution applied was to add an elongated new building, attached to the south side of the main heritage house and to remodel the existing old house with minimal intervention. Outbuildings were relocated from the north side of the property to the south- eastern side of the new building with direct access from the street. This freed up the northern garden with pool as the main living environment, affording the new wing (an open plan kitchen-family room on the ground floor and a large master bedroom en-suite above it), the views and amenity value of the outdoors as part of a revived, fully integrated living environment.